Healthy & Happy in Liberty Hill
Making time for self-care is especially important during these weeks of social distancing. The City of Liberty Hill will post a series of tips, focusing on one aspect of happiness and health each week.
Regular exercise during pandemics like COVID-19 could be the difference in your immune system’s ability to fight off or effectively recover from the virus. Exercise doesn’t have to be strenuous to be effective, but consistency is the key to building a routine that not only benefits you physically, but will also help manage stress and boost energy levels. Follow these tips to use EXERCISE to keep you Happy & Healthy in Liberty Hill!
1. Download the Sworkit Fitness & Workout App. Sworkit’s algorithm gives you the workout you need in the time you have. Only have 5 minutes, 45 minutes? No equipment? Sworkit will search through over 1200 at-home workouts to give you just what you need. Customers may try a free 7-day trial period, and then choose a monthly or yearly subscription.
Tip: Do a quick 10-minute workout in between Netflix episodes to get the blood flowing!
2. Follow the Couch to 5K training program. This 9-week program is designed for beginners and can have even the laziest couch potato running races in just a few short months. Use the C25K app on your phone, or download a printable schedule here. Once your training is complete, sign up for a virtual race, or keep training for a real 5K once mass gathering are allowed again. Registration for Liberty Hill’s Sculpture Fest 5K will open up in August.
3. Use common household items for workouts. Don’t use your lack of equipment as an excuse! Substitute water jugs, paint cans, or wine bottles for kettlebells and hand weights. Do squats and lunges while wearing a backpack filled with heavy books. Substitute paper plates for gliders. Place them under your hands in feet while in the plank position, move your hips into the air, while gliding your feet towards your hands. The possibilities are endless!
4. Utilize our local city parks. Set a good example for your kids, get your heart pumping and have fun all at the same time! Liberty Hill’s parks are still open during the stay-at-home order to help keep our residents healthy and active. Push your kids on the swing while doing a burpee in between pushes. Jog the trails. Play a game of soccer or basketball, and take a glove for a game of catch. Just remember to practice social distancing by keeping 6 feet of distance between you and other people who don’t live in your household. Lions Foundation Park is located at 355 Loop 332, and City Park is located at 251 CR 200.
5. Take an online exercise class. Many local gyms and personal trainers in Liberty Hill have moved to online classes. Consider joining a gym to get access and extra support during this time. There are also many free options. Try Yoga with Adriene for a collection of classes specially designed to get you through uncertain times. The YMCA has also launched many free online videos for a limited time. These on-demand videos include barre, bootcamp, yoga, tai chi, weightlifting, and options for kids. Lastly, ORANGETHEORY is sharing a new 30-minute workout video each day, featuring some of its most popular coaches from around the world.