Healthy & Happy in Liberty Hill
Making time for self-care is especially important during these weeks of social distancing. The City of Liberty Hill will post a series of tips, focusing on one aspect of happiness and health each week.
During times of uncertainty, uniting as a community is crucial to the well-being and stability of Liberty Hill. We have an increased level of fear and anxiety that can be eased by coming together, assessing needs of others around us and jumping in to help our neighbors. Local charities in Liberty Hill have seen a decline in donations, leaving them in extra need during this time. Help others to boost your spirit during the pandemic.
1. Hope House Located right here in Liberty Hill, Hope House provides forever care to individuals with the most severe needs and disabilities. Three homes provide a loving, heartwarming environment with personal, individualized care designed to keep residents stimulated and healthy. Keeping residents isolated, without outings, has presented new challenges to keeping everyone active and entertained. Hope House has an increased need for activities and games, as well as cleaning essentials. You can help by ordering a requested item from their Amazon Wish List. The item will be shipped directly to the Hope House.
2. Operation Liberty Hill Operation Liberty Hill passionately works with our local community to provide food, clothing, and other assistance to Liberty Hill’s families that need a helping hand. Their food pantry, open every Tuesday and Thursday, provides food to families within LHISD, and their thrift store provides free clothes and shoes to clients. Operation Liberty Hill is actively seeking volunteers. Apply online to sign up as a volunteer. Choose one of these current volunteer needs:
- Food Distribution Volunteers – Tuesday: 8:30am – 1pm, 1pm – 5pm | Thursday: 11:30am – 3pm, 3 pm – 6pm
- Intake Desk Volunteers (requires customer service and data entry skills) – Tuesday: 8:30am – 1pm, 1pm – 5pm | Thursday: 11:30am – 3pm, 3pm – 6pm
- Truck Unloader Volunteers (must be able to lift 25 lbs) – Monday, Wednesdays and Friday: 10am – 1pm
3. Community Pathways Organization Community Pathways Organization’s goal is to provide programs for homeless, displaced or at-risk teens/young adults and empower them to find the assistance they need to develop independent living skills and be productive members of their community. Right now, CPO is distributing Panther Packs to LHISD students at risk for hunger. These recyclable bags filled with food provide enough nourishment for a child throughout a weekend when school lunches are not available. CPO is seeking food donations to fill the packs. You can make an online monetary donation, or email vi***@cp***.org to arrange a donation drop off of the following items:
- Canned Chicken or Tuna
- Vienna Sausages
- Canned Beans
- Caned Pasta
- Canned Fruit or Applesauce
- Peanut Butter
- Cereal or Oatmeal
- Cereal Bars or Granola Bars
- Dried Fruit
- Trail Mix
4. Liberty Hill Public Library The library’s Summer Reading Program is going virtual this year due to COVID-19. The Reading Program provides entertainment and stimulation for thousands of children each summer, and the library has come up with a unique concept to ensure children are still serviced. They are offering 2GoKits at no charge to Liberty Hill families. These kits, with themes like science, art, nature, and crafts, will be available Monday – Friday. The library needs our help with filling the kits. You can purchase items from Amazon to be shipped directly to the library.